Thursday 28 November 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!

On November 14th, I turned 39. I started my day bright and early for a jog around the moat. I have to go early because it's just too hot later in the morning and the traffic is a little better then too. I talked to Brianna when I got home for a bit. She taught me how to take a screen shot on my phone! At 10:00 we went to do some volunteer work at the school (Chiang Mai International School). Mike and I each have a little one to help out with in Grade 1 for a class and then after Mike goes to grade 4 and I go to grade 5 for one class. After lunch we went to Starbucks for coffee. They have their Christmas decorations out already and I love the Christmas music. 
Mike organized a little birthday dinner for me at The Riverside restaurant with some friends. I had a blast! The best bartender in Chiang Mai (according to his co-worker) made us a pitcher of margaritas that were delicious. The food was great too. Because the Loy Krathong, Yee Peng Festival was only 2 days away there were people out and about along the river setting of fireworks and sending lanterns into the air. There was a real excitement in the atmosphere. 
Our friend Karen has a part in the movie that they are filming in Chiang Mai called The Coup. It stars Owen Wilson. AND Owen Wilson came into the restaurant while we were there! But I didn't see him. (Angela and I looked on all 3 floors.) Apparently it was too crowded and he ended up at the restaurant next door instead. Karen later went and saw him. How cool is that?! 
Our good friend Shelley brought me a lantern! After dinner, we found a clearing and set off our first lantern with Shelley's good instructions. (I was a little nervous - if it doesn't go up or gets caught in a tree, it's bad luck for LIFE - I didn't want anything bad to happen on my birthday of all days.) Shelley recorded a video for us and I have attached a one minute portion link below for you to see. After the lantern we went to a few bars and dance places and had lots of fun. It was a really good birthday. The first time I've been out until 3AM in a really long time.  



http://youtu.be/zw6DVjAIAG4  - This is the youtube link for our lantern release.

Coming up next some photos from the Lantern Festival ...





No comments:

Post a Comment